Forum home Problem solving

help with my roses

stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
hi guys i have some climbing roses but the stems and leaves that grow are somewhat different, some stems have true rose leaves, glossy type then others are matt and small, although on long stalks,  see pics below for details can anyone say why this happens and what i should do to remedy it?

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    edited July 2019
    Follow the matt shoots to the base of the plant. If they are growing out of the ground or from below the union (where the cultivated rose was grafted) they are wild and should be removed as low down as possible. As the rogue shoots have 7 leaflets rather than the 5 on the cultivated rose, it is 99% certain that those with 7 are wild. If you don't remove wild parts, they will take the vigour from what you want to grow. The rose on which your cultivated rose was grafted will always try to grow and if it is so inclined, will continue to do so. You just need to watch and trim as required. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,132
    ...agree with the above.. 100%..
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Thank you @Marlorena, praise indeed! 
  • stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
    Joy* said:
    Follow the matt shoots to the base of the plant. If they are growing out of the ground or from below the union (where the cultivated rose was grafted) they are wild and should be removed as low down as possible. As the rogue shoots have 7 leaflets rather than the 5 on the cultivated rose, it is 99% certain that those with 7 are wild. If you don't remove wild parts, they will take the vigour from what you want to grow. The rose on which your cultivated rose was grafted will always try to grow and if it is so inclined, will continue to do so. You just need to watch and trim as required. 
    thanks so much for the thorough advice i will get chopping.. 
  • stuart and Codystuart and Cody South Wales ukPosts: 72
    @Joy* i have now done some chopping and i now have 2 true rose shoots lol, thanks again