Forum home Wildlife gardening

Look who's moved in

bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 469
I was watering the garden this evening, and saw these two had taken up residence in my new barrel pond!

• It’s so exciting when you find that wildlife has moved in. I particularly like the second photo that frog looks rather pleased with itself.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    Lovely 🐸
    Much more of this heat and I’ll get in there with them 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 469
    I know! I'm so excited. I can't quite believe they just arrived on their own,  I think this heat must have tempted them in.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    He's got a look on his face that says
    'ahh my des res at last'  :)
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 234
    How lovely. No wonder you’re excited. I’d be thrilled - maybe I should try a mini pond again. My last one was a dismal failure, which has put me off trying again. I know it was probably too deep, didn’t have enough oxygenating plants, the lily gave up the ghost and I ended up with a smelly half barrel pond full of slimy weed. (Duckweed, I think). Not sure where I’d put another one though, if I decided to try again as the area I did use is now full of plants. Not my most shining moment in gardening! So hats off to you and your wonderful success.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 469
    Awww thanks! :) I have to admit, it wasn't plain sailing to begin with. Mine too absolutely stank, the water turned black and the plants looked like they were about to give up the ghost. As a last resort I moved them into a plastic tub, drained it out and lined it with pond liner-you can probably see the staples round the edge. Refilled it, and put the plants back-hopefully problem sorted (fingers crossed).