Forum home The potting shed

Compost

Hello everyone.  I'm in phase 1 of designing my front garden and hope to plant it in the autumn,  nature's planting time. We're on a new development and the garden was planted by the builder /the landscape gardener he uses, in September 2014. Obviously 'new' topsoil ( I use that term loosely) was added. I've removed some fairly large shrubs which are neither suitable nor planted in the right place. The soil is like dust - fuller's earth if you know what that looks like.  I haven't any home made compost,  modern  estates don't provide gardens which you can make it, and I don't think that our neighbours would appreciate me getting a trailer load of farm yard manure which is what I have used in a previous life. What kind of compost would you put on to make it a more realistic growing medium please? Also,  how much? Cost is not an issue and I intend planting some shrubs, a rose or two and then under plant with bulbs.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,785
    I would use the commercially available pre-bagged well-rotted farmyard manure available in garden centres and builders merchants.  The one I use is called 'gro-sure' comes in 50l bags for about £4.50 and is good, weed-free stuff.  Occasionally, it is a bit smelly (seems to depend on what time of year I buy it) but that rapidly dissipates once dug in.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    Thank you.  As a farmer's daughter, the smell isn't an issue. I'll have to do some research to find some.