Forum home Problem solving

Russian Vine taking over my fruit garden

With all the heat and then the heavy rain last night my neighbours Russian vine has gone mad. They really do seem to grow a mile a minute, it is all entangled in my netting, trellis and plants any suggestion she has just told me it's my fault for not keeping it under control, cheek. Has anyone one any thought on how I can prevent it from growing all over my garden otherwise I won't be able to grow anything next year. Ant the moment nothing seems to be growing on her side so she doesn't see it as a problem. I really fed up what with this along with her Ivy and conifer all growing over into my garden and the one next to her letting all her brambles and bindweed go un controlled.

Sorry for the moan, we all work so hard in our gardens but when someone who can't be bothered do this it really upsets me.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    I don’t think you have any option but just keep chopping it back as soon as it’s nose appears on your side of the fence. We used glyphosate on our invader ... but our neighbours wanted to get rid of it too so they were happy for us to take drastic action.  

They are not of such a ruthless character as I am 😡 and they still have a small bit on their side of the fence but as soon as it appears over the fence we chop it back and if it sends its tendrils up into our big tree which reaches over into their garden (and which they love) they are happy for us to go around with hooks and loppers and bring an end to its ambition for world domination, at least for that year ... we repeat each year. ✂️ ✂️ ✂️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    I feared that would be the answer. It means I'll have to keep that area clear as I'll need to put step ladders up to reach it so I'll lose a fair bit of my garden and as I have no where to put the plants I'll have to get rid of them. Their garden is higher than ours by a foot or more add on to that 6 ft of fencing and another foot or more of trellis to 7 foot high then theres the length which is four and a half panels. the other one is as long so it will be the same amount of lost garden which will amount to 54 foot. I alway think how a plant will affect others before buying it, maybe I also should not consider others. Sorry I'm really upset and angry about this. Thanks for your reply Dovefromabove.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    It's very inconsiderate of them @NannaBoo. I have climbers [clematis] along a fence bordering a neighbour, and I'm always very conscious of them encroaching on her side, although I'm sure she doesn't mind some flowers peeking over the top.

I'm afraid it's as Dove says - you'll have to be quite heavy handed with the hedge trimmers. Perhaps you should have a real hacking session at everything and then go round with the shedloads of greenery. Maybe she'll realise just how big a problem it is. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl, we have tried that over the years with the conifer and Ivy, she just tells us she doesn't want it and we should get rid of it for her and to stop cutting down her plants. I know it would be wrong but I can see me taking weed killer to it once I have move all the raspberries blackcurrants and other bush fruit. 
    I wouldn't blame you for resorting to that. 
    Your only other option is to seek legal advice, but no one really wants to go down that route. 

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    I wouldn't take the cuttings around I would just throw them back over the fence. We do that with our neighbours as they are completely unapproachable and happy to leave their garden to run wild. Isnt there a law if it comes over your fence you can cut it back?  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Yes you can cut it back and you have to offer to return what you cut off, but just throwing it back over the fence is illegal ...  it would be regarded by the law as fly tipping ... and means that you no longer occupy the moral high ground. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes - but the issue is the effort involved for Nannaboo, @Ericaheather:/

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 204
    I doubt my neighbours would even notice to be honest. I understand that @Fairygirl but was hoping it may get the message across just how much work nannaboo has to do in order to tame the neighbours plants. It truly is unfair. 
    Ericaheather, Fairygirl and Dovefromabove, we might have to move all the plant and put them into pot for a while so the area is clear then spray with weed killer which isn't a nice thing to do but it's unfair to us if due to them we can use and enjoy our garden. Son thinks something needs to be done are it will so be growing onto and possible into the greenhouse. We've just been out there and had a look and there's also a passion flower growing along the fence and into their conifer, it's going to be one tangled mess on the fence.