butterfly

• pottiepampottiepam Posts: 203
    This butterfly was in the conservatory this morning. I googled it and thought it was a very endangered high brown fritillary but it is a dark green fritillary. theylook the same but have different markings underneath.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,093
    Thats gorgeous pottie. Are you doing the Butterfly Watch?
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    I might do the butterfly watch Ladybird and there do seem to be a lot more than usual at the moment perhaps because of the weather. We are supposed to be getting an invasion of Painted Ladies but I've only seen one so far. 
  • The Painted Ladies have arrived here. There have been lots of them on my Buddleia yesterday and today, sharing it with the Peacocks.
    Plenty of Peacocks and Red Admirals but just one Painted Lady.

I posted these on another thread Pottie but they are worth another look!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,010
    They [painted ladies] arrived in force here a couple of days ago, although  they've been in the farm lanes for a few weeks. I used to get them every year in a previous garden nearby, but it's the first year I've had them in this one.
    Clouds of them in the garden this  morning when I came back from a walk - there was easily 25 or 30. When I came in the back gate, it was a bit like one of those hothouses when they're all flying around you. Gorgeous  :)

Love that fritillary @Pottie Pam.  I think someone has started a butterfly thread - like the bee one. There's also a couple of insect/wildlife threads, so it would be nice to put your frit on one of those too  :)
    No red admirals yet, too early, and only torties and the odd peacock. Still a bit early to see peacocks in force here.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• A Peacock on Allium angulosum, which is popular with butterflies and bees, the only Allium which has done well in my clay soil.

This Painted Lady is on a Buddleia which I grew from seed about 36 years ago.