Forum home Problem solving

Different coloured sleepers

Just had some sleepers installed as part of the garden works.  The grey ones are abit odd from the rest but they assured us as it was at the top of the pile, it got bleached but otherwise are the same.  Could this be true for such a big variation of colour??? I like the browns and the creams and don't mind that variation. They are installed now so what can I varnish/paint them with to make it more uniform?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,859
    edited July 2019
    Hello Rizwana and welcome to the forum. All the wood will eventually age to that lovely grey colour. It they were mine I wouldn't bother trying to varnish/paint them, just wait for the natural ageing.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree with Ladybird4.  If you put anything on them now it will interfere with the natural sunlight bleaching process and sort of 'trap' the colour differences in, so it's best to do nothing for a couple of years until the others fade to similar shades.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    If you want to paint any of the garden paints from Cuprinol, Johnstones etc made for painting furniture etc (not fence paint or varnish) work well. 
    2 years ago painted some of mine black and colour has lasted well although need to wash the dirt off as recently remodelled this bed.

• Aww you guys are all amazing! I will decided with husband whether to leave them or paint them...I quite liked the shading of the browns but if they all fade...