Filling gaps in paving

We’ve moved into a house where the patio needs a little TLC.  Rather than simply adding sand and cement I want to add a few plants into the gaps to keep with the cottage garden theme we are working on elsewhere. Can anyone give me any tips as to plants and method to achieve this look?  Thanks. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,598
    If it’s a sunny spot I’d muc some creeping thyme seeds (mixed) with some sand and soil and brush into the cracks. 

More ideas here https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/26/gardens-plants-cracks-paths
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 264
    Leptinella Brass Buttons would also do well.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,342
    Aubretia, thrift, self-heal.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    I'd be inclined to have something which would be scented when walked on.  Thyme and camomile certainly would fill the bill and are quite tough. 
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 166
    Mexican fleabane
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,607
    I find violets are excellent for this - evergreen, tidy growers, don't try to take over and lovely flowers in spring.
  • tony gtony g Posts: 13
    If it’s a sunny spot I’d muc some creeping thyme seeds (mixed) with some sand and soil and brush into the cracks. 

More ideas here https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/26/gardens-plants-cracks-paths
    Thank you. It’s not the first time you’ve helped us with sage words of advice 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,598
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,926
    Thyme is definitely the best option if it's sunny enough. Look out for the very prostrate ones though - some get a bit taller, and that may not be so successful.
    If you do want a little bit of height, Thrift will also grow in small spaces, with little or no attention.
    Russettings is a good Thyme with nice dark pink flowers. I have a very nice white one, but I can't remember it's name unfortunately. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• tony gtony g Posts: 13
    Thyme it is then!!! Russettings sounds nice. Thank you all for your help. :-))))