Echium Candicans

I moved house last December and one of the most delightful residents I found in my garden was the stunning Echium Candicans.  Over the summer it has almost doubled in size and reached a height of 4m!!!  It has produced an abundance of pretty blue flowers that have been very popular with bees.  I have no idea how old it is.  Unfortunately a few days ago the plant struggled with the heavy rain and started to droop and collapse over the garden, it has finally fallen and is lying on the lawn partly uprooted.  I have tried lifting it up again but is too heavy for any king of support I can give it.  I wonder if anyone knows if this plant can be saved.  Although it is lying across my lawn, it's flowers are still living and it still manages to attract the interest of the bees.  Any advice will gratefully received.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,238
    It will die after flowering, but should self seed.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    edited 23 July
    I think they die after flowering anyway, so I would just try to keep it going where it is until it's set seed that you can collect and sow for new plants.
    PS Welcome to the forum!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    They are best if you let them self seed, they don’t always transplant well, they can take 3 years flower so the problem is getting them through the winter, this year mine have survived but winters in the past have seen them off. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Good point @Lyn. I was thinking that as the flower spike has fallen onto the lawn, the seeds would need to be collected and scattered in a border or flowerbed rather than just left to fall.
    And talking of seeds, are you still interested in the variegated white honesty? The moons are mostly still green but they won't be long ripening if this heat keeps up. Maybe I should post on the seed sharing thread when they're ready.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    Yes please Jenny, my plain white ones are just starting to ripen.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Give me a nudge in a few weeks if I haven't posted to say they're ready :)
  • Thank you Puncdoc, Jenny and Lyn for the advice.  I think I will leave it lying on the lawn until I can collect it's seeds.  I can't believe I have to wait another 3yrs to see this beauty in its flowering glory again but it will be well worth the wait!