How to make garden more level

Hi guys, and girls. I was wondering if you could impart your knowledge on me as I am not remotely green fingered. Basically I live in a military house, and it is a very long term move. However the garden slopes. Not to a huge degree however it gradually slopes from the top to the bottom. With having young children I have a trampoline currently a massive pool up but everything is lopsided and not as sturdy as I'd like because of the garden. 

I am not allowed to employ or use any heavy machinery due to it being an mod property. I was hoping to at a minimum be able to buy lots of soil, then seed the bottom end to make at least some level ground. Am I making that too simple? What would you do?

Thank you in advance :) 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 962
    edited 23 July
    That would be a big project. You would need to build retaining walls along the bottom and at least the right hand side to contain the additional soil. Would you get permission to do that? You would also need to import several tons of soil, hard work if no machinery is allowed.

An alternative might be to split it into two levels which might lessen the need for more soil but will still need retaining walls.
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619
    Split level is the way to go.  If you dig out soil from each side you can use it even out each split, so you shouldn't have to buy any soil.

This ought to leave you with no more than a foot between the two levels, so you can either put a small retaining wall in or just round it off and turf it.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,704
    I wouldn't bother. It would be a huge job to do by hand and you would have to built a retaining wall in front of the fence at the bottom (it will rot if you just pile soil against it). As long as the children's structures are well anchored (put some paving slabs underneath the legs to level them if not or dig holes for the legs on the top of the slope). The children will soon grow up and the slope won't matter as much then.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,576
    I agree with @Lizzie27 ... it’s a huge job that really wouldn’t be worth it .... if it’s a military house surely you know a few military personnel who would suss out a way to make the children’s play equipment safe and secure?  If not I don’t hold out much hope for them when they’re out on manoeuvres 😂 😉 

I suggest asking a few families round for a BBQ
    and then ask for a few suggestions as to how it can be done without major earthworks. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 214
    I think a garden sloping away from a house is useful, means all the rain flows away. The trampoline can be adjusted in like 10 minutes by digging a little on one side where the legs are and propping the other side up a bit.

I would not touch the garden but what you can do is make a little level area for the pool at least. All you need is a spade, a spirit level and some string on pegs to check slope and then half a day of digging.