Forum home The potting shed

Garden tap issue

boffy_12boffy_12 Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in The potting shed
Hi there, this is my first post!

I am having a lot of trouble finding a connector to get my hose going. The issue being none of the connectors fit to my outdoor garden tap. I might be doing something silly so I've attached pictures! Any help would be great :) 


  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    Your pictures haven't appeared.  Try again?
  • boffy_12boffy_12 Posts: 2
    I have just worked out that the bare hose goes on fine. Bit disappointed after buying all sizes of adapter. I have also tried to wrench and hand wrench the connector
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    If you can push the hose onto the connector on the tap, you could secure it with a Jubilee clip.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,025
    To fit those hozelock type connectors dirsctly to the tap, you need to remove the existing hose connector by unscrewing it anti-clockwise.  You will probably need some 'mole grips' (aka locking pliers):

    to do this as they are often corroded or cemented into place by limescale.  If you don't have a pair of these, they are one of the most useful tools you can buy and are not expensive.
    The two plastic hozelock type ones you have include adapters (white and green parts) to fit the 1/2" thread on the tap.  You could use one of those to fit the brass hozelock one you also have and which would last longer.
    Otherwise, just use the existing one with a jubilee clip as mentioned above.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • cyprycypry Posts: 21
    Lots of WD40 onto the join of the old adaptor. A few taps with a hammer to break any seal (not too hard, literally just taps in various places) Leave the WD40 to soak in well, then try again with a wrench... TIGHTEN SLIGHTLY FIRST, then loosen.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,025
    To avoid any confusion, wrenches are usually called spanners in the UK. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,025
    That's the interweb for you, although 'pipe wrench' has been a common term for a specific tool in the UK for decades, aka 'a footprint':

    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
Sign In or Register to comment.