Forum home Problem solving

Garden being devoured - Vine weevil or slugs?

Hi all I wonder whether you can help me- I thought I had a vibe weevil problem but recently bought a lupin which has been totally destroyed before I even had a chance to plant it!! (See first photo) As far as I can see (newbie gardener) vine weevils don’t usually go for Lupins.. So do I also have a slug problem? Any help much appreciated? 2nd photo is what’s left of a Rose, and 3rd / 4th hydrangeas.  I have used VW nematodes but thinking of getting some decoy plants to treat with pesticide (will remove flowers and only put out at dusk) to kill the adults  - any advice as to which plants to use? Cyclamen not in season as yet.

• AstroAstro Posts: 382
    In the photo of the lupin it looks like the culprit is on the side of the pot (a snail). 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Well spotted, caught red handed !
    The  third and fourth photos look like vine weevil damage . Not sure about the rose.
  • KatGKatG Posts: 37
    Thanks - I had no idea snails could do so much damage! Is this common with Lupins? I’m not sure i can take on another garden pest! 
    You think the rose damage wouldn’t be the vine weevil?
    Unfortunately, snails love lupins !
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,826
    The rose damage could be sawfly, the caterpillars can strip all the foliage from a Rose in a matter of days.
    AB Still learning

Could be, sawfly info here might help
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=932
    Thanks AnniD - the page says sawfly doesn’t make actual holes but this definitely has. Do you think it could be the vine weevil?
    ... I mean it’s also made holes in the Rose leaves, which apparently the sawfly doesn’t do?
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    The rose looks like vine weevil. They effectively make mine look like that within a few nights. Seem to like certain varieties better than others too as my red climber gets stripped and my peach bush roses get ignored.