Forum home Problem solving

Fatsia Japonica fell over...

Need some help, 30 year old established fatsia has tipped overin the wind today! Should I use a tree tie and tie it to the fence? 

It was almost straight up against the wall. 

• As you can see here its taken the back of the border along with it! 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    I would certainly try and get it upright to avoid putting any more strain on the roots, as a temporary measure. It's a good age, l am sure there is someone on here who is a fatsia expert. 
  • AnniD said:
    I would certainly try and get it upright to avoid putting any more strain on the roots, as a temporary measure. It's a good age, l am sure there is someone on here who is a fatsia expert. 
    Thanks, I've pruned one of the lower branches off too as its so close to the wall it wont be able to spread any roots on back side so probably doesnt have much foundation. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Water it generously so its roots are thoroughly soaked as some will have been torn and need help to repair themselves while the others take the strain of passing nutrients and mosture up to the leaves.   Then tie it gradually to the wall, straightening it up slowly so you don't dislodge the roots that are still in place and doing their job.

You'll need a couple of vine eys screwed in to the wall either side of the trunk and some good, sturdy bands to hold the trunk without cutting into it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Water it generously so its roots are thoroughly soaked as some will have been torn and need help to repair themselves while the others take the strain of passing nutrients and mosture up to the leaves.   Then tie it gradually to the wall, straightening it up slowly so you don't dislodge the roots that are still in place and doing their job.

You'll need a couple of vine eys screwed in to the wall either side of the trunk and some good, sturdy bands to hold the trunk without cutting into it.
    Thanks I'll do that. Straighten up slowly as in over a few days or just not push it up really fast? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Over a few days.  The main roots that provide water and nutrient st the plant are known as root hairs - teeny, wee things that can be seen under a microscope at the ned of bigger, visible roots.   You don't want to be ripping those off by being too brusque.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Greg4Greg4 Posts: 88
    I had a similar problem last year with pyracantha, I used some rubber lined P clips screwed into the wall, I also reduced some height and depth from the plant, it’s doing better than ever now.