Geranium Patricia

Hi
Planted 3 plug plants recently. 2 days ago had a flower dancing in the wind. Today no flower and leaves not looking good. Please advise

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,643
    It's just a baby, don't let it dry out. If it were adult and had flowered and started to look tatty you would cut it back and it would make new growth from the centre. Not sure about one so young, I'd probably leave it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,446
    Personally, l would carefully dig it up and pot it up into a small pot . 
    That way it can build up a bigger root system before going out into the big wide world. 
    I have just come back to say, actually I think it would be better to keep it in a pot until it's a bit bigger, but @AnniD has beaten me to it!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,987
    and I would remove the flower, roots are more important at this stage

• chembluechemblue Posts: 7
    Thank you both for your quick responses. I am very new to gardening. Bought these plants in memory of my dear mom who passed away almost 2 months ago. Could I put all three in one pot or should I plant each in a separate pot and what size pot. Sorry for the basic and probably stupid questions. Blessings to you x
    Plant each in a separate pot about 6" diameter. Don't let them dry out.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,446
    I agree,if you plant them in too big a pot, the roots may rot. I was going to say maybe 9cm pots, but it depends on how big the original plugs are.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,715
    I agree with the others that the plugs need to be grown on to develop their root systems before planting out. 

If you are a newby gardener there 2 things I would add:

The first is that these plants will die right back in autumn / winter (ie they will lose all their above-ground foliage) so don't panic and think they've died! Start looking for new shoots at soil level March / April time. This will be a good time to plant them out.

Second - in my garden Geranium Patricia is a fairly large plant. It's probably about 2' tall by about 2-3' across. It's growing in partial shade and, therefore, gets a bit leggy and sprawly - so I let it grow through other things to give it some support. You might want to bear this size and habit in mind when deciding where to place your plants - mine is about 3' into the border and still makes it to the front by the end of the summer.

It's sad to hear the news about your mum but you've chosen a lovely plant to remember her by🙂
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • chembluechemblue Posts: 7
    Bless you and thank you for your kind words x