Tree leaves.

My relatives got this horse chestnut tree in his garden which I think got preservation order. The leaves got spot as in photo. What is it? On the bottom of trunk got big holes. What is happening here? What causing the holes? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,835
    edited 21 July
    That is caused by the Horse chestnut leaf mining moth, a recent invading species.  Every single 'conker' tree aroud here has it:
    The holes may be rat, bank vole or rabbit I would think - how wide are the entrances?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 90
    #BobTheGardener, thank you for quick response. The holes ranges from 2" to 6" wide and approx 12" deep. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,835
    That's pretty big.  I wonder if some of them are just cracks in the ground which have opened-up because of general drought and the tree sucking all of the moisture out of the surrounding area (common on clay soils)?  That wouldn't explain a hole in the main trunk though, if that is what one of the photos show.  Holes in the base of the trunk could be due to fungus, in which case worth getting a tree surgeon in to check whther the tree has become dangerous.
    Wildlife may take advantage of such holes but may not be the cause.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 90
    @BobTheGardener, thank you.