Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is it worth it?

Hi all. 
I have a very useless piece of grass, inbetween veg patch and forsythia. I would like to sprinkle seeds, and have a wild patch. But... It will be walked on, as the composer and bin are around there. Any suggestions on what flowers would stomach a bit of trauma by my hooves and dogs?
Best ideas on flowers that would bloom at various times, to keep the colour as long as possible. I was thinking of going up to the pole. Is it best to sow direct, or start in trays? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,072
    You could put a path or stepping stones so you can get to your shed and compost. Not ideal to walk on wild flowers. You could try camomile.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Mow a path down the centre, wide enough for a mower or wheelbarrow. We mow the path around the wild flower patch once or twice a month - just enough to keep the grass shortish. As Busy-Lizzie has suggested you could try camomile which is a low growing plant and smells divine when crushed by feet/barrow etc.
  • Kathy43Kathy43 Posts: 116
    thank you
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,670
    If it was me, I would pull the veg path all the way across, and make a narrow brick path down the middle. Interplant the veg with bee-friendly annuals and wildlflowers like Red Campion. I think this would be easier to manage and still very wildlife friendly.
  • office641office641 Posts: 4
    We have lawn prob 1 acre.  The dandelions have been "allowed" to grow (that sounds so heavy-handed) and we're now getting self-heal and bellis perennis setting up home there and a tiny pink-purple geranium-type creeping plant.  Constant walking on them doesn't seem to damage the last two at all.