Update on Greenhouse.

2»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,017
    Gosh! That’s a long link! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for that Lyn it worked though. I have added it to my eBay account list and if I have room will be ordering it. I was given some staging from someone who wanted rid of their old wooden greenhouse along with shelving and a heater so will see how I am for staging. I have a small plastic walk-in-greenhouse and want that in there so I have double protection for my most vulnerable plants it will go at the far end
    The good news is the GH is up and useable I put a photo on here tomorrow to dark to take one as we only finished it at 9 30pm tonight. It's says we need to put mastic around all four corners and on the glass clips which we still have to do. Although I have been helping, my son has done most of the work. We laid the base together him laying the big slabs and me doing the cementing and getting a flat smooth finishing.

My potting bench is already in there so it just the staging to go inside and the water butt to go outside along with the bits to do already mentioned we done up and running.
    Ive got staging right down one side, I use a grow bad tray for potting.
    then two of those shelf units on the opposite side and one at the back.
    if you put the other plastic one in there for tender plants you won’t need heating or bubble wrap. I used to line one of mine but haven’t done for a few years now, the bubble wrap disintegrated  after a few years, just went to dust. 

Morning Lyn, Yes I was told about bubble wrap that why I thought about using the small plastic greenhouse to protect plants over the winter. In the summer I'll keep it open and use it to bring on seeds and plant cutting. Last year I had seed trays all over the house and even had to rig up a sort of staging to go in the study window as we'd run out of room. You say you use a grow bag for potting up, when I was given the staging they gave me a potting tray that screws onto the staging, it's one of these.

We have notice this morning the rain is getting in at two corners which they did say would happen so when it's dry I'll go round and seal it with clear outdoor mastic. It's rain at the moment so I'll go into the GH and put the staging together and see what I can put in there.

I started clearing the shed on the 4th June and it was finished yesterday, so looking forward to getting my garden back to being a garden and not a storage area. I did say I would put up a photo of the finished GH but it is pouring down here but as soon as it stops I take a photo.

Lyn can you tell me once the GH is water tight will it get damp in the winter, I was thinking of leaving my propagating book out there but not if it's likely to get damp.

Son has just gone out and jokingly said don't forget I'll be home for lunch, so glad it's just him and me now or I'd never have been able to have a GH.

Thank you for your kind advice and recommendations I do appreciate it. 
    The little potting thing is ok but wouldn’t be big enough for me, you’ll find out as you go along what suits you. You need something big enough to put your seed tray full of seedlings, pots and compost.
    I use one of these for potting, and others on top of the staging shelves for watering, you can stand all the pots and seed trays in there for quicker watering.  They are a metre long. 

That's a good Idea Lyn I have 3 of them and also five that are slightly shorter but wider like this one which I bought at a Car Boot sale for something like £2 each a few years ago.

Just had an email from the people getting rid of the greenhouse. They have 3 bags of compost 1 bag of horticultural grit and a few other things they think I might find useful. I asked why they didn't put it backup on freegle and he said we know you will use it and not sell it. They will be over this way tomorrow so will drop it of for me. There are some really kind people out there. Apparently they are selling up and moving into a retirement village and thought it would be a waste of the compost by putting it onto the garden.