Forum home The potting shed

RESURRECTED EIGHTY ONE

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    The trouble this year Chive is that's been all or nothing regarding the rain.

Grassman hasn't been able to come for past two weeks and has phoned to say he can give me a full day on Thursday.  Fingers crossed for a dry day.
    SW Scotland
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688
    Afties all,

Glad to hear you had a good night out, Chive.😊

The leaky mains pipe is still leaking. Severn Trent say that they had to get permission from Peak Park to dig up a bit of “their” land and somewhere in this simple one question followed by one answer exchange the project fell into a black hole from which there is no return. So we have had to start again. Severn Trent say that we shouldn’t expect to hear anything from anybody before Tuesday. They couldn’t say who we might or might not be hearing from on Tuesday, but definitely nobody would be contacting us before then.  It could be ST, could be PP, could be the tooth fairy.

Meanwhile, perfectly clean fresh treated water is oozing out of the ground unchecked, as it has been since we first alerted them to the problem back in May. It makes you proud to be British.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Humanity. I give up. Two stories from today’s news that leave you wondering if there is any intelligent life on this planet...

An alternative to urban trees is surely a forest or a jungle, but as those are being chopped down we now need little plastic bags full of algae.

And news from the jungle?.....

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Pansy, is the water leaking into your garden?  Water companies seem to be slow in dealing with leaks.

Bribery and corruption is the problem regarding the deforestation according to a tv programme I saw recently.
      As for the plastic 'trees'.... words fail me.
    SW Scotland
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,069
    I do really despair for Earth. The beautiful Amazon rainforest with all its millions of flora and fauna just being decimated. Maybe if the goat willow was a useful tree we could grow that instead. It seems to pop up everywhere.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    The really annoying thing is that our lead mains supply runs under a tarmac-ed lane. Heavy vehicles constantly shake the tarmac and the pipe leaks from time to time.

We don’t see why we should have to fork out tens of thousands of pounds to replace the pipe with something more sturdy than lead, and which could just be damaged again as soon as it was fixed, so we keep asking ST to sort it. So far they have been happy to do it quite quickly, but this time the leak is not only on the road so PP have to be consulted too.

A metre length of land needing five minutes’ of digging out and this is what you get.
    And now for something completely different. Which musical instrument would you be?
    I would be a piano.

edited July 2019
    PF, going back to your water leak. They are always banging on about reporting any leaks in my area. I come under United Utilities. They are very much on the ball when responding but you have the quandary of being in the Peak Park and from what you are saying they are where the cooperation appears to cease. I'll bet you pay premium prices for your water as well.
    p.s. did you say LEAD piping?
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 5,595
    Piano 😄
    Well we've enough for a trio.