Forum home Problem solving

Help please! My viburnum bodnantense charles lamont leaves have curled and are dry!

Hannahmitchell2424Hannahmitchell2424 Posts: 16
edited July 2019 in Problem solving

I planted this viburnum bodnantense charles lamont about 3 months ago. At first it was doing really well and looks healthy but over the past week the leaves have dried and shrivelled. We have been watering it every night as the weather has been warm. Does anybody know what might be wrong with it? I know it’s meant to shed its leaves but not until autumn I believe? Thanks.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I suspect it is either planted in an area that gets too much sun and even watering daily is not enough.

Watering daily is not always the best way forward for shrubs. Water buckets around the base every 3/4 days in the evenings or early mornings at this time of year will make sure your plants get the best from watering.

The soil will also be baked around your shrub. Without the canopy of other plants, the base will be very warm. Maybe think about mulching the base and surrounding soil until you plant out more things? The soil definitely looks like it needs bulking up with more rotted manure or compost. Your shrub will grow better if you improve the surrounding soil.
  • Great thank you, I will try mulching the base. Is there anything I should do to this plant now? May it come back to life or is it best to start again? Thanks
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    The buds at the leaf axils look fine and fresh, so no need to cut back the branches. You will just have to wait.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I did mulch the base and have given it lots of water whenever I can, but it now looks even worse :(. There seems to be lots of flies on it? Is there any chance of recovery does anyone think or anything I should do? I am still giving it soluble plant food every few weeks (miracle gro all purpose), this shouldn’t harm it should it? Thanks!
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Sorry to see the shrub has deteriorated since. I'm afraid it isn't looking good. If the branches feel brittle and stiff, it's very likely dead. Maybe scrape some branches to see if it is green inside. I don't think feeding Miracle Gro will help. The issue still looks to be establishment issues, lack of root development and possibly planted in an area too exposed and not enough shade. 
  • Good news - it’s green inside if I scrape a branch! I’ve dug down a bit and the roots were still in a bit of a ball and looked very dry so I gave that lots of water. Hopefully this wet weather will help it and it may still recover. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see! Thanks for your help everyone.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Has anyone sprayed weedkiller nearby?
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • I did put weedkiller down months ago when killing the grass and then dug in the flowerbed. But I left it at least a few months before I planted anything and fully conditioned and composted the soil. Everything else I have planted in the same soil (roses, another type of viburnum, Pieris Japonica and hebe) are thriving so I assumed it wouldn’t be that? Unless this plant is more susceptible?