Help me hide a retaining wall!

laura.butt89laura.butt89 Posts: 1
edited 18 July in Garden design
I recently moved into a new property and I’m in the process of having the ivy removed from the garden (I hate ivy it had to go!).

This is leaving me with a very unsightly retaining wall about 8-9ft high.

Does anyone have any suggestions re how to hide this wall? The previous owners had started latting it on the right but they only did a bit, and the side of my house also has exposed retaining wall. I’ve been considering horizontal latting as it tends to look a bit more modern, but I’m open to all other suggestions as gardens are not my strong point!

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,625
    The ivy was doing a great job of hiding the wall though! ;P

You could try Trachelospermum jasminoides planted at the base of the wall (you'll need to fix some wires to give it support). Also plant it at the top, if there's decent soil, and let it droop down. You could add some herbaceous non-clinging Clematis ( e.g. Clematis x durandii) at the top and let those droop down as well.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,739
    I would consider painting it in a matt sage colour . But I would definitely grow things from the top to hang down rather than the other way round.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • bullfinchbullfinch Posts: 131
    I too would paint the wood first, and if you are able to dig a fairly reasonably- sized hole at the bottom, a montana clematis might work- they can cover quite a big area over time. 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,625
    I'd paint it dark grey, but then I paint everything dark grey. To me it makes things less visually dominant.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,056
    How much sun does it get? It looks like a prime spot for some alpine plants. A lot of them get lost on the ground due to their small size but up at eye level they'd be really nice. Aubretia springs to mind for the higher bits.