Cucumber muddle

Hello everybody, I am hoping someone could advise me if they can.  I am trying to grow cucumber La Diva in containers outside in a sunny corner but it is my first time with cucumbers and I was trying to train it up a trellis.  They seems to be growing really quickly and somehow I have got a cats cradle sort of mess I'm not sure which is the main stem! Should I have been pinching out side shoots? It's all a bit confusing! It has loads of little female flowers and afew male ones, which I have been taking off when I can get to them, but nothing seems to be developing into a cucumber yet. Do I need to be feeding it yet and do you think tomorite would be ok? It is just planted in grow bag compost from a split bag. Should I just let it do it's own thing or is that not likely to work?

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 419
    I had these last year, left them to their own devices (no pinching, no picking of anything other than cucumbers), tying to support as needed and they were great.
    Tomorite is ok for cucumbers but they don't need as much potassium as tomatoes, so a balanced feed is also ok. I usually start to feed when I feel that the nutrients in the compost are depleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,227
    Everything I can find online tells me that La Diva is an all female variety (as suggested by its name) so there shouldn’t be any need to remove any flowers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh thanks Edhelka, that is reassuring, so I'll just keep batting and hope that nature will work it's magic! I shall hold off feeding for the moment and see how things go.  Dove, you are right,  that is what I thought but I can assure you there were some fellers hanging around! Anyhow it will be interesting to see what happens. Many thanks.