Forum home The potting shed

Horticulture training

Hello! Hopefully this is the right place for a question about horticulture qualifications. I'm considering doing one and have read about the RHS level 2 and the City & Guilds. Does anyone have experience of these courses and/or can someone offer a comparison? I have practical gardening experience but nothing else and am considering working in horticulture as a possible career sidestep. I'm looking for a part time course, max one day/evening a week. Thank you for any advice and apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum! 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,279
    I believe a few people on here have done the RHS course and I know @LG_ has so maybe she can help.    You could also contact the RHS directly to ask about how, where and when you could do their course which has a good reputation.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,860
    Thanks @Obelixx

@didyousaysomething, I did the full RHS Level 2 over 18 months, one day a week (each course - two theory, one practical - was 6 months). I can't compare the RHS course with City & Guilds really, except that I sense the RHS one is recognised more widely (including abroad) and may be considered the 'gold standard'. But I have no direct experience of that being the case on the ground - I also sense that the C&G course is weighted more toward the practical, which may count for more in some job applications. Look at the syllabuses and see what appeals to you, and what is available locally. Also, if it might be an option, there seem to be quite a few apprenticeships which offer the RHS course alongside - definitely worth looking into that side of things. They tend to be pretty much minimum wage though, so might not be feasible. Some other traineeships require one or two of the RHS courses as an entry requirement, so worth knowing about at this stage if you're looking to move into horticulture. Having flexibility of location opens quite a few options up too.

Not sure how much of that helps. If you've got any other specific questions, do ask. I LOVED doing the level 2. And if you start with theory, make sure you do them in the right order (principles of plant growth etc first. It's not obvious that it matters, but it does).
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero