Forum home Plants

Nicotiana

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,815
edited July 2019 in Plants
Can anybody please tell me if slugs or snails eat young plants?  Mine are ready to plant out, I think but I'm a bit bothered about them being nobbled overnight, I haven't grown them before. 
North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone

• LynLyn Posts: 21,383
    Yes, they love them! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Weirdly they eat everything els I put out and the nicotine gets ignored, possibly because it’s in such abundance. To be honest I’ve not actually purposefully planted it in a couple of years, it just self seeds and comes up wherever it wants! Maybe the slugs eat it before I notice... but with so much I would never miss a few.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Mine never get touched. By the way, do you mean the bedding type or the big ones like N. Sylvestris which is what I'm growing. I don't have many slugs or snails but I don't think they would be so keen on the hairy sticky leaves. 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 387
    Mine have been very popular with the snails, fortunately I grew loads. After losing some small plants I covered them until they are a decent size . They haven't seemed to bother so much once they had a few sets of leaves.
  • c_watkinsc_watkins Posts: 53
    Hi there, 

I'm growing the big Nicotiana Sylvestris, they didn't go out until they were strong and study.
    The slugs here do like them but I water them every week or so with a garlic wash (recipe can be Googled) which helps quite a bit.

I have also used the slug one wool pellets with some success. 

Any questions please ask, mind you I can't promise I'll know the answers! 😁 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,815
    Thanks folks. I was rather hoping the tobacco flavour might put them off (I'm assuming it's a related plant). Might try a few in big pots with copper tape round it - we have some very determined snails round here!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone