Forum home Problem solving

Yew Hedges not looking great! Help!

13»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    edited 5 January
    Anything potted can be planted at any time of year, but bare root or root balled specimens are for planting over autumn/winter, so this time of year is fine as long as the ground isn't frozen. It makes establishment easier simply because it's cooler and damper, so watering is less vital.
    However, specimens at the size you intend getting will need a lot more attention than smaller whips, especially going into spring if you live in a drier area, so make sure the ground is really well prepped, and you don't let them dry out as temps rise and ground dries out more. Mulching well before that stage will also help   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you very much! Just having a look to see if I can get anything for the weekend :) I should have some left over drip irrigation pipe I will look to install when I plant the rootballs, and in the past I have given them a good dose of fish, bone and blood when putting them in. Another point worth noting...the price has really sored in comparison to the last time I bought rootballs back in 2018/19!