Josephine Clematis

Last year I planted this Clematis and it produced about 5 nice big double flowers,I thought it would do better this year having been well established,but so far just one flower......not even double.
It's been fed a liquid feed,but only one other bud showing. Should I be feeding it something different?
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 162
    I only ever throw a bit of compost on the top of mine in spring and usually it's ok. Mine is in a container. What position is it in? Any pics? 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    I find the first flowers on it are single and the later flowers are double.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    I've never had single flowers on mine. Even 2nd flourish. Maybe u should neglect it like I do mine lol! Here were my first blooms. Just coming into bud again now. It's west facing
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,458
    edited 17 July
    Here is my pathetic little offering,plus one more bud! There's no way this is double,nothing like last year. It's situated by a dry stone wall,facing South east.
    Each layer will open day by day until you end up with the same as mine above. Utterly stunning clematis. My absolute favourite. Every day they seem to change. Mine start exactly like yours. Did you chop it back at all last year? Or spring? Are there no other signs of buds? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,761
    If it's by a wall it may be short of water so try giving it a good deep drink and a dollop of slow release rose or clematis food or a regular liquid feed of tomato feed or comfrey or seaweed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Ericaheather. Yes I cut it to about a foot,and mulched it. That is the only other bud.

@Obelixx ; Thank you I will do that. I have recently removed a nearby Buddlea that had taken over,so maybe it was taking water from Josephine?  We are forecast some rain soon,so that might help,but I fear with only one more bud,it's had it's moment this summer.  So annoying when it was not cheap,and yet my 1.99 Lidls one is rampant!
    Give it a chance. I wonder if you cut it too much or at the wrong time? I've only ever give mine a full chop down to a couple of foot once and that was this spring. Other than that leave it alone unless rampant. Very light pruning when needed. Usually flowers twice. Second time not as many.
    @Ericaheather ;  I did it in February.  The growth in height is there,but it's obviously been starved of something,as it's so lacking in buds.
    We had a good downpour last night so maybe that will help,with some seaweed feed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,447
    Water is what it needs more than anything. Most people don't realise just how much water clematis need, and if it's by a wall and other shrubs/planting, it'll be drier than is ideal for it to thrive.
    Bearing in mind the dry summer many people had last year, and also the drier winter for many, ground wasn't as moist as it could be when summer flowering clems come into growth. Add in the dry weather again in many areas, and it's easy to see how they can be struggling. There's been a lot of queries this year on the forum about clematis not thriving, mildew etc.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....