Forum home Problem solving

Water barrel

We used an old pond pump to transfer water from a water barrel up into one on a higher level. when the top barrel was full the electricity was turned off, the  pump was left on the ground but the tubing left all attached but dead, when we went back the top barrel was empty. Is it possible for the water to syphon back down through the dead pump? No cracks in the barrel  can be seen, or, do we have a phantom water pincher?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    I suppose it depends on the pump design - does it allow water to flow back through it? If so then yes, water will flow down to the lowest level.   Did the level in the lower barrel increase?
  • hchessomhchessom Posts: 27
    Type your comment No, the pump had been left lying on the floor and the top barrel was empty, maybe an expensive mistake in water consumption. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    My OH says depending on the pump, then yes it could. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    On balance I'd say it's more likely the pump doesn't have a non-return valve than someone stole your rain water. Unless you live somewhere exotic where rainwater is at a premium?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • hchessomhchessom Posts: 27
    I know we haven't had any rain for a while but I don't think anyone in Yorkshire will be that desperate for water I think it is definitely human error and a lesson well learnt.
    Thanks for comments everyone!