Forum home Problem solving

What are these white spots on my oak seedling

I have an oak which I have been growing for my god daughter. It almost died from squirrels digging but suddenly came back to life with this lovely new set of leaves but they look like they have some white fuzzy spots developing. what is it how do i prevent?! Thanks

• OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,513
    Powdery mildew from the looks of it.  Hard to tell from this angle but is the pot big enough? Also is it getting enough water? 
  • TobykeaneTobykeane Posts: 39
    Omori said:
    Powdery mildew from the looks of it.  Hard to tell from this angle but is the pot big enough? Also is it getting enough water? 
    Its in about a 20cm diameter terracotta pot. Its only a young seedling, do you think it should still have a bigger pot? Yes giving it plenty of water
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,481
    They're a bit of a pain for getting powdery mildew in pots. It doesn't really hurt the plant but you need to practice good hygene to try and break the cycle. Make sure the leaves aren't left to lie around in the autumn and keep the plant in a well ventilated area and out of too much sun. Terracotta isn't the best material for a tree pot as it wicks water away from the roots too quickly though. If you like the look of it then line it with plastic or use a plastic pot inside a terracotta pot to keep the water levels more consistant. Is there a water try under the pot?
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • TobykeaneTobykeane Posts: 39
    They're a bit of a pain for getting powdery mildew in pots. It doesn't really hurt the plant but you need to practice good hygene to try and break the cycle. Make sure the leaves aren't left to lie around in the autumn and keep the plant in a well ventilated area and out of too much sun. Terracotta isn't the best material for a tree pot as it wicks water away from the roots too quickly though. If you like the look of it then line it with plastic or use a plastic pot inside a terracotta pot to keep the water levels more consistant. Is there a water try under the pot?
    Yes water tray under the pot. totally up for the idea of putting into a plastic though