Forum home Plants

Rose "Help for Heroes"

matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 169
edited July 2019 in Plants
Hi,
Speaking with a neighbour recently who has recently moved, and she was lamenting the fact that she had had to leave a favourite rose "Help for Heroes" behind, and she has not able to source another one anywhere. I had a quick search for it online, and cannot find any recent references to it (it looks like it was sold for a short while about 10-15 years ago). Does anyone know if this rose is still available, or if it is another name for a rose that is? I think it was sold to raise money for charity at the time but other than that I know nothing about it other than a picture I found online:

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,452
    I have also had a search on various rose search websites and it seems to have disappeared, sadly. I checked Hilliers website as they introduced it, but nothing. 
    It's possible someone on the forum has one and may be willing and able to take a cutting perhaps.
    I will tag @Marlorena in this as l know she has many roses, maybe she knows of it.

• matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 169
    Thanks @AnniD, much appreciated. Sadly I came to the same conclusion that you did. I suggested to my neighbour that she sneak back and take a couple of cuttings! (or indeed, just ask for some).
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,067
    Is it worth phoning Hilliers to ask them? Or maybe ask the Help for Heros organisation?

It might have been a rose sold under another name elsewhere, e.g. there is a dark red hybrid tea called ‘Veteran’s Honor’ in America that is also sold under the names Lady in Red, City of Newcastle and various others...
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.