Forum home Problem solving

Lavender not flowering!

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
The variety is Santolina chamaecyparissus and I planted 4 last October interspersed with 3 smaller blue flowering English Lavender.

Both have grown well but the blues are in full flower but the yellows have produced almost nothing in the way of flowers despite bushing out a lot.

I’ve tried to find some pics showing this:

The other thing is that the yellow (not)flowering - and larger ... plants are kinda “splayed” in terms of growth habit in most cases.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    Santolina can get a bit untidy and unless it is freshly clipped, it does tend to sprawl all over the place. As to flowering, I find it blooms (if that is the word for what this plant does) once it has made a bit of growth. I cut one back last year and it has formed a beautiful clump but I doubt it will flower this year.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    It can be biennial. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Looking at the photos, looks like they still need to mature a bit yet. Make sure you don't feed these plants, they need the dry and free draining soil to keep the foliage strong and stiff. Excess moisture or some shade, they will sprawl or collapse. Once mature, they can flower as late as August, so maybe they are still going to flower.