Forum home Wildlife gardening

HELP !!!!

I am feeding the birds, and use feeders haning from the trees in the back of the garden. I also put apples on the ground for the the Blackbirds. Recently i am discovered that the apples are gone in the morning, i mean apples cut into 1/4. I am sure it is not the Blackbirds. Who is the taking the Blackbirds apples?

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
    Do you have squirrels?  Or rats?  Either will take apples...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    I doubt blackbirds would eat apples at this time of year - usually winter.
    It's likely to be squirrels or foxes, or even hedgehogs, depending on where you are and what your garden is like. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• cvmsmokeycvmsmokey Posts: 2
    I live just outside Lancaster, and thinking about it i have seen one squirel but no rats.
    So it is a waste of money to give the Blackbirds apples?
    Maybe i have a hedgehog in the garden, i would love that.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,332
    Sorry to say this but it's most likely rats. They're always around at night, especially where you feed birds. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,433
    Blackbirds like apples in the winter ... I put out chopped apples, porridge oats and raisins in the worst winter weather and our garden fills with blackbirds fieldfares and other thrushes. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Blackbirds don’t know that highly salted foods are bad for them 😞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

If only they could make an informed choice ... 😉