Turfing Success HELP

DuggyfreshDuggyfresh MidlandsPosts: 19
Hi - Off the back of my previous post re hedges I'm about to get my entire garden re-turfed. Its been cleared, rocks and rubble removed, roots pulled up and industrially rotavated with some initial topsoil mixed in to the ground (there were areas with large established tree roots that had drained the nutrients out of the soil apparently). 

Last steps (or so I'm being told by contractors) are basic levelling, more top soil application, levelling again, then raking and final prep for the turf application (approx 250sqm) This is happening this week!

Looking online (always dangerous) the recommendations are saying to rake in some pre-turf type fertilzer into the topsoil prior to laying the turf - the 20kg bag I've bought has a makeup of NPK 6-9-6, which I assume has a slightly higher phosphorus count. When I informed my contractor he initially said fertiliser was a recipe for disaster and then recommended a phosphorus free variety when I mentioned I'd kindly bought some for him to apply. 

HELP - who is right and should I just negate from applying at all? Going to all the expense I have done I want the lawn to be 'lush' but dont want to screw it up before its established either . . .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619
    I’ll give @glasgowdan a nudge ... he knows about such things ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DuggyfreshDuggyfresh MidlandsPosts: 19
    Awesome thanks Dovefromabove . . 'I really wanna see those fingeers' . . .My gardening is akin to Vic & Bobs humour . . .random
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 537
    The real question is... what would Ulrika do? 

Your contractor should stick to landscaping rather than turf care. OOVAVOO!

He's a baby, he's  a baby!  That feed will be perfectly fine AYRANOO! , though not essential to get the lawn nice. Good low Nitrogen will keep growth sensible.  I wouldn't add any other fertilisers this yeae, just water water. Keep lawn cuts around 50mm this year too, and be prepared for the first slightly lower cuts next year to leave it looking a little less lush for a while. It typically takes 2 years for a new lawn to develop a mature and strong root zone. 

B)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks @glasgowdan

. . .Ulrika ka ka ka . . .she was a goddess back then; but like all good looking plants that haven't been watered properly she's looking a bit withered / sun drenched these days. 

Ayranoo indeed - I will command said contractors to sow the fertilizer accordingly! Does this layer /application also need to be watered prior to turf laying?
    Older plants can have their own beauty ... look at the elegance of a mature bonsai 😉 

:# :D  :# 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    yes, what dug said, no feed but water water water.