Forum home The potting shed

Water Situation Report

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,979
    Hostafan1 said:
    "exceptionally high" for the last 3 months and "notably high " for the last 12 months. One wonders why our local water supply Lake is only at 64%.
    Ours is at 100%, if I'm reading that right (Wimbleball). I wonder if it's to do with less capacity or better siting relative to it's catchments. 

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167
    Hostafan1 said:
    "exceptionally high" for the last 3 months and "notably high " for the last 12 months. One wonders why our local water supply Lake is only at 64%.
    Ours is at 100%, if I'm reading that right (Wimbleball). I wonder if it's to do with less capacity or better siting relative to it's catchments. 

I'm on the border of  areas 143% of normal and 153% of normal. Bearing in mind , our "normal" is pretty high to start with.
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,979
    edited December 2019
    Right in the middle of the 153% of normal where I am. And it feels like it too. It's still raining now. It feels like it's been raining solidly since September
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
     It feels like it's been raining solidly since September
    Ditto, I've not been able to cut the grass since then, that's for sure.
    Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,338
    edited December 2019
    @Hostafan1   does your 64% stat come from the local report? Chalk stratas make a huge difference to ground water retention. What soils are you on?
    Fire said:
    @Hostafan1 does your 64% stat come from the local report? Chalk stratas make a huge difference to ground water retention. What soils are you on?
    we're on granite I believe.
    Devon.
    I think it's important to be tracking our ground water infrastructre, abstraction and storage. It's no good complaining about river abstraction and hose pipe bans during very long, hot summers and forgetting or marginalising water resource matters for the rest of the year.
    edited February 2020
    Fire said:
    last 6 months " notably high" bordering "exceptionally high" and rainfall the 6th highest on record, yet our reservoir is only at 81% full. One wonders why it's not full.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,173
    Sounds about right and thank goodness, we get so little rain here usually.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.