Forum home The potting shed

Water Situation Report

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,338
    edited November 2019
    October's Water Situation Report for England has been released today. (Other UK countries have their own reporting systems). I find the below rather fascinating. Some areas of the country have had over double the average expected rainfall for the time of year. The north west of England was one of the driest areas in Oct. The south west currently has some of the lowest reservoir levels. Ground water levels in north London range "ranged between below normal and exceptionally low". Most of north London has had no 'effective rainfall' at all.

"In some of the chalk aquifers in east and south-east England and the Otter sandstone in Devon, groundwater levels continued to fall and were classed as being at a notably low or exceptionally low level at the end of the month. The total reservoir stocks across England increased during October and were at 87% of capacity at the end of the month.... Abberton and Hanningfield reservoirs, in east England, ended the month at 50% and 52% of total storage capacity respectively. Roadford and Colliford, in south-west England, were at 54% and 51% of total storage capacity at the end of October. "

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,519
    Without reading the report for this area I will have a stab at it saying there is no shortage of water :|

Groundwater levels in some areas still falling, though! Amazing to me that after all the rain that some areas are still "notably low". I can't find Wales Oct report. I can only see up to June 2019.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759
    Our pond is now full but could be fuller if I can locate the outlet pipe that sends "excess" down into Luc's yard.   We could then have another 2 or 3' of depth.   

Driving across the ends of the reservoir lake in the village this morning I noticed the water levels are still not enough to take the ends of the lake beyond the D12 and D85 bridges.  Laods more rain needed - https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,173
    A friend is a volunteer at Hanningfield reservoir (not far from me) and mentioned that they've been pumping water from Cambridge to Hanningfield to keep the levels up.
    It almost seems we have had more rain here in the last couple of months than the last couple of years
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167
    no surprise to see our rain is higher than our already pretty high average and our sun hours are down.
    Devon.
    Wettest autumn for twenty years, pretty much.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,519
    *looks out of window.

Yep :|
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167
    "exceptionally high" for the last 3 months and "notably high " for the last 12 months. One wonders why our local water supply Lake is only at 64%.
    Devon.