Forum home Problem solving

Watterbutt

Purrrrrr1999Purrrrrr1999 Posts: 1
edited July 2019 in Problem solving
How/can a watter butt be connect to a drainpipe that isn't a downward one? We have a roof garden with no watter access. I want a watterbutt, but we only have access to a straight horizontal drainpipe not a downward pipe. Will it still work? Please help

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. 
    I'm sure there must be a way to do it. Perhaps if you could post some photos, it would be helpful.
    click on the icon which looks like a postcard of a mountain, and follow instructions.
    Devon.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    It will be difficult as most of the systems to attach a butt use gravity and vertical water flow to divert water into the butt...
    Helix said:
    It will be difficult as most of the systems to attach a butt use gravity and vertical water flow to divert water into the butt...
    I agree, and my concern is "overflow" once the Butt is full.
    I reckon there must be a way to do it, but need to see the situation.
    Devon.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Agree a photo would be helpful.
    Could you drill a hole in the pipe above the water butt and fit a hose or pipe sealing it well so nothing leaks then you could let the butt fill and then plug off the end when full but obviously if you forget as Hostafan says overflow could be a problem unless there is a gully or something that takes the water off the roof when it rains.
    Is this "horizontal" pipe, at "ground" level, or higher?
    Devon.
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619
    Nothing should change here.  If the diverting kit faces down the water will flow into it.  You just need to ensure that the entry point into the water butt is lower than that (not by much, just enough for water to flow) AND that the top of the water butt (or any hole above the entry point) is higher than the diverting kit on your existing horizontal pipe, otherwise water will flow out of the water butt when it's full rather than backing up in the diverting kit and flowing off down the drain.