Forum home Problem solving

Straighten leaning tree

We just moved into a house and have a tree that is leaning over the drive. Is it too big to gradually straighten with some straps?  

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,973
    I think it's grown like that for too long. Even if you could straighten it, which I doubt, the canopy structure would then be uneven!

What are the lines girdling the trunk, and has the bark at the base been damaged by strimming?
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 7
    The lines are from xmas lights that were wrapped around and we removed when we moved in! 

Do you think it will be ok like it is or need removing eventually? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Hexagon said:
    Chop it down and it’ll grow
    back straight up from the base...?
    No don’t do that ... that won’t happen. It’ll either die of you’ll get a loaf of suckers growing up from the base making a tangled bushy mess 😱

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hexagon said:
    Chop it down and it’ll grow
    back straight up from the base...?
    No don’t do that ... that won’t happen. It’ll either die of you’ll get a loaf of suckers growing up from the base making a tangled bushy mess 😱

I think it was a poor attempt at humour 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    It's a decorative crabapple, I think.  I wouldn't try to straighten it for the reasons WillDB mentioned - the canopy would then be lopsided and look very odd indeed.  It'll probably develop real character after couple of decades, left to it's own devices.  If it's in the way or you don't want crabapples falling on your drive, then it wouldn't be too big a job to replace it with something else, while it is still at this size.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    A strong prevailing wind from one direction ...?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

A strong prevailing wind from one direction ...?
    No not around here, probably just poor planting
  • young codgeryoung codger Posts: 507
    I believe you could straighten the tree eventually. You would need a lot more than straps & staking though in my opinion.

If you bought a 2nd hand lever hoist from somewhere like E bay, that would be helpful. I bought one with a 6 Tonne lifting/pulling capacity. I had tree roots to remove, and it perfonrmed the job very well. The issue is, you need something solid to anchor the lever hoist to.

Once the tree is  staightened up, the branches of canopy can be trimmed and shaped over time.

This is the lever hoist I got from E  bay-great tool.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    Is it really worth that effort though? Much better to remove it and replaces it with something that's properly staked and looked after, IMO.  :)
    It clearly hasn't been staked and supported from the start, and it's never  going to look good.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Is there any rock in the trunk now?  If there's a tiny bit then I reckon you could improve it over time, but it would be slow as can only do it very gradually.  So several years.  And the canopy would sort itself out eventually as well, perhaps with a bit of shaping. 

I’m a lazy gardener, so I’d leave it as I don't mind wonky trees.  But if it bugs you, and given that you’ll never get it perfect, perhaps you should just replant?