Help to identify plant

Sorry if this is really obvious, but have moved into a new place and am new to having a garden and have noticed this fruit/plant. Can anyone tell me what it is please? 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,709
    I freely admit to not having a clue. They look like tiny, purple pumpkins.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,679
    Hello emmarodriguezzz and welcome to the forum. Your plant looks as though it could be a quince - looking at the leaves of the shrub but I have to confess that I have never seen a purple fruited variety like that. It's fascinating and if you do find out what it is please report back and let us know.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525
    Are there two plants there?

Do the purple fruits belong to a climber which is growing through a Chaenomales japonica?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thankyou so much! I asked my neighbour as he does a lot of gardening and he said he also thinks it's quince and they should go yellow, but I've never seen them purple like this either. 
  • Are there two plants there?

Do the purple fruits belong to a climber which is growing through a Chaenomales japonica?
    Just one plant. 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,679
    Its very pretty.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • He said I can make quince jelly but I just want to be sure it's actually quince before I do anything with it! 
    I have made a lot of quince jelly in my time. That does not look like any quince I’ve ever seen. Please do not cook with it until you have a firm ID !!!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes definitely! I'm going to see if they actually turn yellow at all... 
    Even if they do turn yellow I do not believe they are quinces.
    No quinces Im
    aware of have that segmented shape.