Please ID this 8 feet tall wildflower

guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 207
This wildflower is almost tree like; it's a good 8 feet tall, but there are no flowers yet.
Anyone please ID for me?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    Common chicory, Cichorium intybus. It has blue flowers in the morning that close up later on in the day. The  leaves are similar to a dandelion.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 207
    Thanks Fidget. Does the chicory get as tall as 8 feet?
    Just that the images google gives me for Cichorium intybus doesn't look like my plant?

Mine looks like that and it has been flowering for about a week. It is taller than me.  It might depend on how rich the soil is.  does this help?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    @fidgetbones; you were, of course, correct.  Over the last few days the small blue chicory flowers have just appeared.
    Thanks
    You're welcome.  It looks like it is in a wild patch. It will seed around a bit, and because it has a tap root, it is perennial.
    You're welcome.  It looks like it is in a wild patch. It will seed around a bit, and because it has a tap root, it is perennial.
    Yep, most of my garden has been let go to a wild state as it is so wet it is difficult to mow or to grow and maintain "normal" ornamental garden plants.
    Only downside is that soft rushes grow too well there also; so I'm going to have to work out how to constrain the soft rushes whilst allowing the wildflowers to thrive.