Hello, please let me know what you think and/or any ideas for this little concrete front "garden", t

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
So i am trying to make the front of my mother's house look a bit nicer, she has been ill and hasn't been able to maintain like she used to, i will post a few pics below, i have bought some new benches for the front and me and brother will be clearing all weeds and corner bushes, re-cementing the corner parts etc in next few days.
Now i am wondering about these 2 holes, they originally had tall bushes in them but we want to get rid of that and keep them quite low maintenance, i was thinking of filling them with a layer of soil and them sort of gravel or pebbles on top to make them look a bit neater.
As you can see from pics one still has just some half plant bush monstrosity which we will pull out i think.
My question to you lovely green-fingered people is what sort of flowers or plants could i stick in there once it's full of stones or pebbles?, i'm thinking one nice big lavender or a mini fir in each of them but will this be ok for the plants? Can they just attach to the very bottom layer of soil ok, we need something that will look tidy all year round and minimum maintenance.
Here is the 2 holes with a magazine next to one of them for scale, thanks in advance guys.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,486
    edited 14 July
    Lavender will like well-drained soil in full sun. I think I would pick one of the taller english lavender varieties to make a bit of an impact.  It might be too dry for conifers (and most of them get big over time).  But what's the black plastic sticking out? Is it some kind of lining? If so, I'd get rid of it.
  • easymailadeasymailad Posts: 2
    Thanks Jenny, yeah we will be getting rid of it all and starting again, we don't even know what that plastic was there for, nor does mum but yeah like you said, make a bit of an impact so thanks for that.
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,239
    After you’ve cleared the two holes, enrich the soil with some compost and maybe topsoil to add some nutrients in there prior to planting. A lavender would look lovely there and is very low maintenance.
    North East
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    If lavender doesn't float your boat, can I make a case for creeping thyme? It is very low maintenance, spreads nicely, can be walked on up to a point, likes stony ground, has gorgeous bee attracting flowers in June, and smells divine. Or you could try sempervivums and sedums.....I have some sempervivums growing in holes in bricks so they aren't fussy about soil, in fact they thrive in grittier compost.
    Whatever plants you chose, I hope they bring joy to your Mother.