Forum home Wildlife gardening

Rotherham’s Wildflower verges

Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 794
I was sent this link from a good friend and I was so impressed that I wanted to share it. I can’t help but feel that this will not only benefit the wildlife but commuters too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-48954147/rotherham-s-wildflower-verges-give-roads-splash-of-colour
Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 1,089
    Same sort of thing in Hull - it's lovely
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
    And in West Yorks.  They save on mowing costs, so it's a win-win...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
    Here in France local authorities are now banned from using weed killer, it’s amazing how the verges have begun to flower even in the first year. Nature is wonderful 
  • We have a stunning strip near my house. It's amazing what kind of flowers pop up each year. Truly beautiful.
  • Oh, how I wish it were that simple!  They tried this in the village where I used to live.  Unfortunately, the seeds are not all native wildflowers and, unlike a true wildflower meadow, require significant maintenance.  The worst part is that herbicide is needed if not annually, then every other year.  The species are non-native to such a degree that whereas natural wild verges can support 1,400 species of insects, these seed mixes can only support 40 species. It is true that this is far better than sterile verges, but let's not kid ourselves that we are actually making the significant contribution to wildlife that we would like.  The main benefits of this system are the seed merchants who sell the seed mixes.   
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,275
    Supporting 40 species is better than nothing and I just love all that colour. If I was a commuter, that would make my day.