container for star jasmine at front of house?

Hi All

We want to have a star jasmine (purchase something at 300cm height) climb over the front bay window of our house but there isnt really space to plant in the ground so looking at a large planter trough ie 100cm x 40cm x 40cm? Just wondering if it will be happy enough in something this size? If so any recommendations for material type for planter, seems to be a large array to choose from.

Thanks in advance
Paul

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,285
    I would recommend a much bigger planter, at least 60 cm x 60 cm, bigger if you can get it. These Jasmines can get quite big, 20ft from memory? One of the grey faux lead planters would look smart in the front of the house (depending on the style of your house of course) and they are fairly lightweight.   
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,757
    I grow lots of stuff in pots I even grew a silver birch for 10 years in half a barrel but I have never done well with perennial climbers, tried clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine always struggled with disease. I would stick to annual climbers if you don’t want to be disappointed. 
    If you want scent maybe pots with scented annuals around the ones with the climbers. Obviously up to you but just telling you I have never managed it successfully. 
  • pr1970pr1970 Posts: 4
    ok thanks. Will have a look to see if i can find a larger pot or try and find a way of planting it into the ground.