Please me and my Salvia (new gardener!)

Hi everyone.
I wondered if anyone could spread any light as to why my Salvia is looking so poorly. She’s been flowering and growing so well since we got her at the start of June. However now some flowers have started to die off, the leaves are wilting and she is looking very sad! The exact same thing happened to my Nemesia and I recently pulled it out. Flowered and then the wilting and sad plant. (Although over watering could possibly have been the death of the Nemesia). I water and feed all my plants regularly. (Watering daily/every other and feeding weekly).

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,243
    Individual flower spikes will die off - that's normal, no flower lasts forever.  It's natural for lower leaves to brown and drop (if you don't like how it looks, it might be better in a order with other plants that would disguise the lower stems and provide interest when the salvia isn't in flower).  If the whole plant is wilting it could be overwatering. Most salvias prefer well-drained conditions so make sure the compost isn't getting too wet. Water when it's dry a few inches down.

• amymorg1amymorg1 Posts: 11
    Thank you for your response @JennyJ . Should I be removing the stems where flowers are dying. Also should I be removing brown/wilting lower leaves or leaving them on the plant? 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,243
    Taking off the dead flower spikes should encourage it to grow more, so yes.  Brown leaves don't look good but won't hurt the plant  (unless they're diseased, eg mildew which is white-ish and powdery looking) so you can remove or leave, whichever you like. I can't actually see any brown leaves or dead flower spikes in the picture though :)