Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wasps' nest advice!

Advice please! We now have a wasps' nest in our wildlife friendly garden. It is in and on a bird box away from the house. I do not know the species but am fairly confident it is not a hornets' nest as the wasps are "standard" size and not aggressive. At the moment it is fairly small (the wasps are going into the next box through a small hole but they are building a "paper" structure, using chewed up wood, attaching it to the outside of the box) but presumably it could get much bigger? We would like to leave it be as I understand wasps are beneficial insects, eating aphids , for example and as a matter of principle I do not like deliberately killing anything . Is it safe to do so?
Debbie  

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    Nearly every year we co-exist with a wasps nest somewhere in the garden and the only time I've ever been stung is when I accidentally mowed over a nest. I would say that it's fine to leave them be.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281
    We had 2 in our chicken house one year and no problems from them, though I was careful when opening the door and avoided disturbing the nest itself. There's one a-building at the moment, though the house is currently awaitig new occupants.
  • debbiegmcdebbiegmc Posts: 2
    Thank you! really helpful and I will leave them be.