ID please. Red underside of leaves - dying / fixable?

Hi all!

i have no idea what my plant is. Could anyone ID it please? Is it an indoor only fella? 

a few of the leaves have developed small holes in them. Every leaf is coloured red on it’s underside. Could anyone diagnose the illness / is it dead / what do I need to do?

Many thanks. Naming or links for me to read is very appreciated. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,243
    The first picture is something in the maranta/calathea family, but there are lots of varieties.  Indoors only unless you live in a tropical or subtropical climate.  The red/purple underside is normal.

Not sure about the second pic - you have lots of plants there.
  • JennyJ said:
    The first picture is something in the maranta/calathea family, but there are lots of varieties.  Indoors only unless you live in a tropical or subtropical climate.  The red/purple underside is normal.

Cheers Jenny J for naming! Glad that it’s not a disease. I’ve been wondering why some leaves are rotting away / have holes.

Water less? 

Your last paragraph mentioned “lots  ofplants”. It’s only one! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,243
    Hmm.  I can see a plant with large marbled leaves (maybe a courgette?  not sure), something with pink flowers (maybe an orchid?) and lots of little seedlings, or maybe they're weedlings :).
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 447
    The houseplant would appreciate sitting on (not in) a tray of damp gravel to make the air around it a bit more humid.  Think rainforest....
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,648
    Helix is spot-on ; browning leaf tips normally indicate too dry an atmosphere .

• Helix said:
    The houseplant would appreciate sitting on (not in) a tray of damp gravel to make the air around it a bit more humid.  Think rainforest....
    Silly question- get the gravel at a garden centre? I live in N16 0ST and have no idea where my local one is, in London. What do you mean ‘tray’? Like the thing you carry 5 cups of tea on?

Cheers!

Bob
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,648
    Ideally a tray like those used for cat-litter etc ; the gravel/grit from a local pet store or builders merchant ! :)
  • Paul B3 said:
    Ideally a tray like those used for cat-litter etc ; the gravel/grit from a local pet store or builders merchant ! :)
    Cheers Paul! 😊 Learning about / loving plants is getting fun
  • JennyJ said:

Cheers Jenny J for naming! Glad that it’s not a disease. I’ve been wondering why some leaves are rotting away / have holes.

Water less? 

Your last paragraph mentioned “lots  ofplants”. It’s only one! 
    I’m SOO SORRY 😐! I didn’t mean to include that photo ( which does include courgette - well spotted / identified Jenny J). 

Sorry for wasting any time. I blame my head injury and imperfect sight.