Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildflower meadow planted three years ago, now weed infested

I planted a wildflower meadow in part of my garden three years ago.  The first two years, it was easy to maintain with a little weeding, but this year invasive weeds are everywhere.  As soon as I get the spring season's weeds taken care of, now I am having to deal with summer weeds.  I feel that I am pulling out the wildflowers to get to the weeds.  I see that Monty Don has done a show on wildflowers, and would appreciate suggestions as to how to correct my meadow.  Thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,183
    A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. they say.

Many of the plants in your meadow would be called weeds if they grew in your flowerbeds.

Which invasive plants are causing you a problem? Are they perennials in an annual flower meadow?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994
    Just about to ask the same question !
    What are the weeds that are giving you problems, both Spring and Summer ones? 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 382
    Yes it's often a case of accepting the weeds you can live with a removing the ones you can't. Here Monty talks about weed removal https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-weed-a-wildflower-patch/
  • We have a wild flower field in it's first year, once a week we walk around the perimeter removing as much dock and bind weed that we can reach without walking on the flowers. Although I don't like Dock and it is almost impossible to remove, I have noticed that flocks of sparrows and gold finches are feasting on the dock seeds. We also have a little Mares Tail which is a real nuisance, it will be interesting to see how well the flowers reseed next year. I feel for you @nbarton56 although I agree with @pansyface that a weed to you or I is food for a variety of bird, moth or bee. Live and let live as much as you can.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    I pull docks and nettles, or at least don't let them seed. Marestail are a nightmare, pull twice a week to weaken if you can or they will take over. Nature abhors a vacuum, any bare soil will be colonised, usually by something you don't want. The trick is to fill it as full as you can with plugs or seed of plants you do want.
  • nbarton56nbarton56 Posts: 4
    I agree with Pansyface also. I am worried that I have destroyed my meadow due to pulling out more invasives this year. I have not had them in this volume the past two years. My main problem right now is this. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Many gardeners pay for pots of Queen Anne's lace.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    That's lovely - I would say keep it.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Many gardeners pay for pots of Queen Anne's lace.
    I did, or at least seeds😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Are the stems hairy?

The purple stem makes me think it might be poison hemlock but I'm probably wrong.