Forum home Problem solving

Fledging in garden.

Its unable to fly very high, and only for short bursts, and its starting to get dark. There are cats in the area and I'm unsure what to do here. A quick reply would be appreciated.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    I think there's very little you can do.  If you were to handle it , it would probably die of shock although you may be able to calm it.  But then what would you do with it afterwards?  If you leave it, the adults may come to its rescue.  If not, then nature will ensure the survival of the fittest.  Sorry - sounds brutal, but probably for the best.
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    I think there's very little you can do.  If you were to handle it , it would probably die of shock although you may be able to calm it.  But then what would you do with it afterwards?  If you leave it, the adults may come to its rescue.  If not, then nature will ensure the survival of the fittest.  Sorry - sounds brutal, but probably for the best.
    Hi thanks for the reply. The bird seems to of settled behind one of my roses, trying to sleep. Its not well camouflaged at all, so I've put pots and a bag half full of green waste a couple of feet from it to help hide it. 
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    You've done your best RubyLeaf.  Let's hope that the little bird is safe for the night.  
    You've done your best RubyLeaf.  Let's hope that the little bird is safe for the night.  
    Fingers crossed. My cat is staying in for tonight, so thats one less predator to worry about.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Let us know how things are with the fledgling if you can please @RubyLeaf :)
    AnniD said:
    Let us know how things are with the fledgling if you can please @RubyLeaf :)
    Hiya. Checked this morning and couldn't find the little guy, nor could I hear it. Looks like it managed to fly off in the end.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Fingers crossed it's okay. Many thanks for the update  :)