Meadow heaven

hi all, I thought Gardeners World was great last night with a whole episode dedicated to wild flowers and meadows. We decided not to cut the grass at the end of our garden and look what happened:

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,363
    I bet the wildlife love you for it.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 83
    The blue flowers in the 2nd pic are Vipers Bugloss which I sowed on bare earth left from a winter bonfire on the lawn
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,363
    Do you feel more relaxed sat on your seat, than when it was all neat and tidy?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Absolutely! It actually looks better than the borders I make an effort with. 😂
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451
    Absolutely! It actually looks better than the borders I make an effort with. 😂
    Nature knows what she is doing!
    Really lovely  <3
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • TinyGardenGIrlTinyGardenGIrl Posts: 136
    That is lovely. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,195
    And inspirational.  Thank you!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 531
    It looks lovely, but how do you even get to that seat without getting a tick?!
    I left part of my front garden to become wild, but it just looked a mess, hardly any wildflowers, just long grass and the odd ugly weed. After a year I took a mower to it.I might consider letting it grow again. Maybe I should sprinkle some leftover seeds around the edge of the grass and see what happens.
    It here is a mown path to the bench, no ticks so far thank goodness. The hot summer last year weakened the grass and the flower weeds found the space. I think the yellow on is ‘cat’s ear’. I’m going to grow my own plug plants for next year to get some different species
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,896
    I have grown plug plants in a small area of my wild flower bank @Sandygarden - the area is roughly 10 foot x 20 foot and the patch is far more colourful and the plants far stronger than the seed sown area.  We dug the patch over, removed as much grass and root as we could and meanwhile I collected and sowed lots of wild flower seed firstly into trays and then 3" pots.  The results are far superior, the plants are strong and so far no grass or weed (apart from a few young bindweed) have taken over. I chose exactly which plants I wanted to grow here. I have to say I think your patch looks lovely - more natural too.  I do have places to sit - on piles of wood or rocks - perhaps I should put a nice comfy  bench on my birthday list!