Forum home Problem solving

Lavender cuttings

I took 8 cuttings of English lavender the other week and they've all turned out like this. I suspect the compost was too wet but it was a 50/50 mix of JI2 and grit.

Does anyone have any tried and tested advice? Wait until later in the year for cuttings more on the semi-ripe side of things?

I have 4 cuttings of French lavender taken at the same time and potted up the same way that seem to be doing ok so far.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Take at intervals through the summer, Use gritty compost, water once and let drain, and then keep shaded. Rooting usually takes about six to eight weeks.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Take at intervals through the summer, Use gritty compost, water once and let drain, and then keep shaded. Rooting usually takes about six to eight weeks.
    And do you keep them in a propagator/plastic bag?

The leaves were all limp until I put them in the propagator. I've found plastic bags a bit of a PITA myself.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    I use a hard lidded propagator but put it under the bench in the greenhouse so it is in the shade. They will not need bottom heat at this time of year. Too moist and they rot off. My grandmother grew an entire lavender hedge by poking in cuttings in a line straight into the garden. She had very sandy soil.
    I shall try again using even  more grit this time.

I left the pots sitting in water for a while last time, I'll try watering from above this time. Suspect the mix may have been over saturated.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Take semi-ripe cuttings rather than the softwood which I think you took. Find a sturdy short shoot and peel it gently off the stem. It should be about 2-4 inches. Remove any flowers and pull off any leaves at the bottom leaving half the stem bare. Tidy up the 'tail' and put in very gritty moist compost in the shade. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Another thing I've yet to use myself, is vermiculite worth getting a hold of for cuttings in general?