Forum home Wildlife gardening

Do slugs avoid ants?

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
I have noticed less slug damage near meadow ants nests, to the extent that one dahlia hasn't been touched. Others a few feet away have been chewed a bit.
Is this a coincidence?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited July 2019
    I  don't know,  I have seen ants on a slug in the garden, usually it is not moving, so whether they were the cause or just taking advantage I have no idea.

I tried a brief search but feeling lazy without checking good provenance of answers, several sites say they do get eaten along with the likes of ground beetles  and the usual suspects like hogs and frogs.

I know I would not fancy ants crawling all over me so if there was an ants nest nearby it may well put them off.
    And if the ants bite or squirt whatever it is some do on them, again off putting for a slug.

Are meadow ants the big scary ones? Or is that wood ants.....

Or if the soil was dry and sandy loose as it can be where ants have excavated would that put a slug off too?
    Sorry more questions than answers :D

And edited to add . For some reason I thought you were  asking if ants ate slugs...shoot me I am done.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    No they're the little yellow harmless ones.  I didn't think they were being attacked by  the ants but I wondered if the slugs, who spend a lot of time underground, would go elsewhere rather than mix with the ants. It makes sense to me anyway😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.