Forum home Wildlife gardening

How can I attract wildlife to a high rise balcony?

Right now I just get pigeons and spiders. Tried all kinds of things to attract birds and insects but I think the fact I am on the 6th floor limits the number of interesting creatures that pass by.

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,609
    You can get bird feeders that attach to a window? 
  • londonstanlondonstan Posts: 13
    tried a few of them without success, have you had success with a particular type?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    How big a balcony is it?
    Wind will also be a factor for having suitable plants. You'd need to create a little micro climate with a bit of shelter, so that you can have plants which suit bees and hoverflies. For butterflies, you also need the type of plants they feed on as caterpillars, and that will require a little research based on the varieties you could expect in your area. 
    The bird feeders debs mentions is a good idea, but also have a shallow dish of water for them to bathe and drink from. Use a good quality feed too - the cheap stuff will attract pigeons because of the wheat/barley content. Sunflower hearts are a good bet to start with.
    I'm not sure how many birds you can attract though, under the circumstances. It may also cause problems with other residents, so bearthat in mind too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• londonstanlondonstan Posts: 13
    edited July 2019
    Thanks. Has anyone had sucess themselves? I'd love to know when plants are best at attracting wildlife at a distance/height. I did get the feeling that the pigeons were following the smaller birds. When I tried meshes to make it hard for the pigeons I attracted crows(perhaps because they like puzzles and were attracted by the sight f frustrated pigeons).[I have reasonable protection from wind(glass barriers) and evening direct sun.]
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Londonstan, I'm on the 6th floor and have plenty of caterpillars. What type of plants have you got growing. Think about shrubs as well as flowers. I live in an area that is very mild so grow quite a few tender shrubs, but you can look at evergreen shrubs like Arbutus Unedo & Pinus Mugo, both can take strong winds.

To avoid pigeons, only feed sunflower hearts and perhaps some fat sticks. That's all I do, and birds do visit. I have a feeder with a cage built around the edge. Don't go for cheap small feeders. Pigeons are very clever and will still fit their heads through. There are also cage covers that are a bit like an up-turned shopping wire basket that helps keep pigeons out. I agree with Fairygirl, also have a shallow dish of water nearby.