Stopping ivy growing on wall

Hi folks,I have a large wall that ivy has been left to it's own devices for too long I severed most of the roots feeding it from a fllowerbed years ago but I think a lot of it was still growing over and being fed from roots on my neighbours side as thats where it originated from until it made it's way over our whole wall(And I found one root hidden by a bush on my side that I have cut this week),I am intending to cut the branches growing from my neighbours garden where they cross on to my boundary spreading on to my wall at the bottom of my garden could anyone advise a good tool to do this they are awkward as they are thick and flush to the wall and some are about 3 to 4 inches thick,the aim is just to cut off it's water source by carefully finding all of its entry points on to my wall and then just leave it in situ,I'm not going to start trying to rip it off,I'm going to make a gap of 12" so I know there are no connecting shoots and I can see any new growth coming across and attack it as and when,I cant use poison as It would kill my neighbours ivy and she likes it on her wall.
I'm even thinking of buying a reciprocating saw but have no idea if that would even be able to be used with the branches touching the wall as I don't suppose the blade would travel enough,any help greatly appreciated,I would like to stop it in it's tracks before it does more damage

• steephillsteephill Posts: 797
    A standard hand saw should be OK. If possible slide a piece of suitable material (thin plywood/mdf) between the ivy and wall to keep the teeth off the wall. A tenon saw might be easier to use with the same method as it is shorter and stiffer.
  • Hi thats a good idea,I think I have a large screw driver so I will try and pry it out a little to slide in a bit of ply,I shall have a look in the local hardware store tomorrow
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 797
    One other option might be a wire saw like those sold as survival/hiking tools. These are fairly cheap and small enough to get in behind ivy.
  • steephill said:
    One other option might be a wire saw like those sold as survival/hiking tools. These are fairly cheap and small enough to get in behind ivy.

Hi I should have said it's a high wall probably 20' to the top,so I need one hand on the ladder,interesting bit of kit though those wire saws I had no idea they existed
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 172
    Ivy can root into a wall so it must be completely removed if you don't want it. Cutting its connection to a root in the ground doesn't do it.
  • alan.wilson2605alan.wilson2605 Posts: 4
    edited 12 July
    Half of it is dead and has been for a couple of years on the left of the wall what remains on the wall is just what is growing from next door on the right that is the problem but I can't poison it on the off chance I end up killing the neighbours ivy and upset them,although when I had it I always made sure ours didn't spread to the other neighbour on the other side of me and so they never had a problem with it