Has my Buxus got blight or have I overwatered it?

So this pot has a little drainage hole at the bottom but I checked and its quite damp, so was the square patch underneath the slate pot. So not sure if I have overwatered it, shall I take it out and check the roots and if its not too bad get some new soil maybe put something else at the bottom so it drains better?

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 424
    Hmmm, you may have box blight.  I can’t tell from your photo, but have a look here to see if the picture looks like your young stems

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=96
  • zoecarter_7zoecarter_7 Posts: 3
    I've had a look but my buxus doesn't have any black streaks and the leaves are yellow not brown so maybe its not blight! I'll popped a few leaves in a bag with a wet tissue to so check if there's white spores
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916
    Is the pot off the ground? It's always better if pots aren't in direct contact with the soil below. A few pot feet, or bricks would do the job.
    I think that's more likely to be weather related. Is it windy in that spot? They often get a bit of scorch from sun as well. It could be a combination of those. Wind and sun dry foliage out very quickly. A shadier spot is usually better for box.
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• zoecarter_7zoecarter_7 Posts: 3
    Its just flat on the ground at the moment when I pushed the pot over a bit the ground was quite wet underneath, didn't know you could get pot feet will definitely get some thank you :) The front of the house is in shade until late afternoon so that's when it actually gets some sun for a few hours. I'm going to double check later how the roots are doing as I read if they are brown not white then its root rot, not sure if that's right?